Friday, October 24, 2008

Summer summary

It is 1.40am, and I can't sleep.

I can't stop thinking about stuff, work-related issue is one of them. Also, the environment and all things considered. I watched the documentary Dolphin Dealer on TV tonight and the subject matter really disturbs me. Nothing is new as in the way human interacts with the wildlife, and how we exploit them in order to satisfy our greed. And then I think about the food issue, how we treat the land, produce and consume food in a way that leads to detrimental consequences.

Everyone can make a difference. I'm happy that we are growing our food, supporting local products and talking to people with the hope that our passion can influence them.

Let's do a summary of what we grew (and harvested) this summer:
  1. salad mix
  2. swiss chard
  3. kale
  4. pole bean
  5. snow pea
  6. shelling pea
  7. bush bean
  8. parsnip
  9. beet
  10. carrot
  11. tomatoes (roma, roman red stripped, sungold and lollipop)
  12. cucumber
  13. potatoe
  14. bok choy
  15. onion (red, walla walla, spring)
  16. garlic
  17. leek
  18. strawberry
  19. raspberry
  20. herbs (basil, thyme, tarragon, rosemary, chive, oregano etc)
  21. hop (to make beer)
Did I miss anything? Not bad for duplex backyard!

No comments: